What does naturopathic medicine mean at BNHC?
Naturopathic medicine is an integrated, science-based approach to health.
New patients often come to us with chronic or complex medical problems. We consider the symptoms in the context of the whole person, to help us get to the core of your health issue. Our treatments include therapeutic diets, botanical medicine, acupuncture, lifestyle counselling (including exercise and stress- management techniques) and nutritional supplements.
Naturopathic starts with listening
You’ll see from your first visit that we’ll ask you many questions and listen hard. Physical observations and lab testing also help build a diagnosis. We invest heavily in listening time and data-gathering.
Big-picture approach helps us get to the root of the problem
We identify and pay considerable attention to:
- The origins of your issue or disease
- Your genetic makeup
- Interactions in your background, physiology, and lifestyle; external (physical and social environment) and internal (mind / body / spirit) factors.
Together, this information helps us paint a complete picture, so that we can understand the why of your health concerns, the underlying causes of disease. We engage in a partnership, piecing together the sequence of events leading to your health issue. Then we create and implement a personal, patient-centred treatment plan that allows you to be in charge of improving your own health and changing the outcome of the disease.
The strength of our approach
With few exceptions, naturopaths cannot and do not prescribe drugs. We concentrate on identifying and addressing the core reasons for your health issues.
Within traditional medicine, GPs are at the centre of treating illnesses that require surgery, prescription medication, or referrals to specialists. We often work collaboratively with GPs to help our patients reach optimal health.
We can, and do, devote more time to the whole you – genetic, biological, and environmental – in finding solutions.
We treat a wide range of health conditions
We treat a broad range of health concerns and work with you to prevent the progression of the disease, and minimize or eliminate the concern.
- Immune support – to reduce frequency and duration of colds, flus and recurrent or chronic infections
- Cardiovascular health, including blood pressure and blood cholesterol normalization
- Depression/anxiety prevention and management
- Skin concerns, including acne and rashes
- Stress-related concerns, including anxiety, depression , insomnia, difficulty focusing
- Musculoskeletal concerns
- Weight management
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Food sensitivities and allergies
- Thyroid imbalances
- Adrenal fatigue
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
- Irregular periods
- Menstrual cramps
- Fertility concerns
Complex chronic illness
- Chronic fatigue syndrome
- Mold toxicity
Children’s health conditions
- Digestive concerns including constipation, diarrhea, pain
- Weak immune system including recurrent and frequent infections
- Skin concerns including eczema and rashes
- Sleep concerns
- Autism Spectrum Disorder support